Thursday, January 12, 2012

Guest Post: Life Told By Leslie

As you know I am off in San Francisco for work this week. Today I have Les from Life Told By Leslie here to do a guest post. She is one of my favorite bloggers, go check out her blog and you will soon find yourself following it, promise. Here she is:

A Lesson in Thrifting

Hi everyone! Thank you Jess for asking me to guest post!


I'm Les from Life Told By Leslie. Something that has been on my mind lately is sharing some thrift shopping secrets that I've been practicing for a couple of years now. Buying used/vintage/resale is a great way to build a wardrobe of quality pieces, and I am a firm believer that every woman should have a closet full of things she loves and that will last a lifetime. While there's nothing wrong with shopping at trendy stores like Forever 21 or Old Navy (my personal fav!), as I've gotten older I have become aware of the brands/fabrics that will last longer and that are classic, i.e. never go out of style.


(Blazer: Thrifted and Vintage. Silk Shirt: Thrifted, J.Crew. Black Skinnies: JCPenney. Booties: Macy's.)

Tip 1: Look for timeless silhouettes.

My blazer has darted seams that instantly slim the waist. It also has only one button, which is more slimming than a double breasted or three button blazer. Some vintage pieces can create a boxy shape. Steer clear of those unless you want to pay a little bit extra for tailoring.


Tip 2: Be aware of fabrics.

This blazer I thrifted (for only $15!) is made of 100% wool. Anything that is made of natural fibers is going to hold up longer and be of better quality. The blouse is 100% silk, which is also a natural fabric that is going to withstand the test of time. Silk vs. Polyester? No comparison! Silk is totally more luxurious, of better quality and just all around nicer than it's knockoff counterpart Polyester. Keep in mind, silk and wool items need to be professionally cleaned. I suggest making friends with your dry cleaners, and/or taking your business to cleaners that provide frequent customer rewards such as punch cards.




Tip 3: Snatch up those high-end brands during season changes!

The blouse I'm wearing is from J.Crew....and normally sells for around $80! I thrifted it for $3 between the fall/winter season at my local Goodwill store. When it's time to switch over your closet in between seasons; hit up those thrift stores! If you're getting rid of items you don't think you'll wear again, chances are some fancy ladies that shop at J.Crew or Banana Republic are too!



Come visit me at Life Told By Leslie to see more of my outfits and thrift store finds!



xoxo,

Les

1 comment :

  1. Love the outfits! Nice job, Les! I'll be checking out soon.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts...