Monday, January 14, 2013

Shopping Diet

When I turned 25 in October, I made a list of 25 things I want to do while I am 25 (aka #25in25). I'll explain more on that in another post.
One of the items on the list was to go on a 3-month shopping diet. Of course, like any good diet there will be loopholes. My list, My rules.

Mission: 3 Month Shopping Diet
Beginning Date: Feb 1st, 2013
End Date: May 1st, 2013

Yes, I realize Spring will hit during that time and I will be very tempted to buy florals and colorful items.

Guidelines::
:: I will not shop for clothes, shoes or accessories for 3 months.
:: I am allowed to use store credit or gift cards to purchase items during this time. (Not to exceed amount by more than $5)
:: I may purchase home necessities. My roommate is moving out, and I have another moving in and will be in need of big items such as living room furniture and a television. I am setting a very specific budget to adhere to for this, and plan to get thrifty with it.


Additional::
I hope to keep myself honest on this by telling all of you and my friends (you know, the non-interweb friends, since all of you are my friends too) about my mission. Follow me here or on Twitter (@Jess_TIB) to see how I do.

I would love for any of you to join me in this so that I have a support group. Even if you just want to join for a wee little bit.

I plan to purge unnecessary closet items during this 3 month span. I may even set up a Threadflip account. Do any of you have one? Thoughts on that?

I have a work trip to CA during this time that I may allow myself to purchase a treat for myself on. I am starting a "Treat Yo Self" jar, so I may allow myself to pull from that for the trip.

I am trying to be organized and disciplined during 2013, and this is a step towards that. Another item on my #25in25 is to double my savings before I turn 26, so this too will aide in that.


Yes, this was long and yes, I may have lost you already. This was intended more for me to outline my rules and guidelines, it you read until the end.. well gee thanks!



17 comments :

  1. Go girl!! I'm in the process of going through my closet and sellings items that I no longer wear/need too. Savings is a big goal for me in 2013 too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Where do you plan to sell? On eBay, "shop my closet", Threadflip? Let me know how it goes?

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT! I seriously need to think about doing this too, my fiancé would love me if I did! And yes, you could say I am a bit stressed! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to join in for even a month. :) I am sure I will need the support. I enjoyed the post and your blog. Hang in there.

      Delete
  3. ahhh. this is definitely something i need to do!! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a challenging endeavor! I'm curious to see how it goes for you, maybe I'll try it myself in a few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! Is it too late if I'm already 25?!

    best,
    Colour Me Classic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late to make a list of goals. Feel free to join me in this diet. I am sure I will need someone to keep me honest.

      Delete
  6. I'm doing something similar out of money saving necessity. Good luck to you!


    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea, I plan on doing it the whole time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need a shopping diet too...but I have such a hard time with it. Good luck to you...and I think a Treat Yo Self Jar sounds awesome and will definitely help :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a fantastic idea. and one that is great for the budget! great chance to wear those pieces that get shoved to the back of the closet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting idea! I definitely need to try this!! Good luck!

    xx
    Giovanna
    www.HeyLoveBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i always like buying clothes as souvenirs because then they remind me of the place when i wear them back home! good luck with diet!

    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts...